I have noticed that many late 80s/ early 90s sitcoms have a DUMB sidekick accompanying their main character (sometimes a relative, often a neighbor). I am not talking about idiot savants (foremost example: Kramer), or those who are simply supergeeks (Screech). I’m talking those that are so dumb they may not be able to function in society.
A lot of shows had them then, but I don’t really see that on TV these days. Here are the most memorable 5, in my opinion:
1. Waldo Geraldo Faldo (Family Matters): You gotta love Waldo … Urkel might’ve been the star, but poor, clueless Waldo was funnier (and way less annoying). Did I sayyyy thaaaaaaaat? Yep, sure did!
2. Jazz (Fresh Prince of BelAir): Memorable Jazz Quote: [explaining a shrunken shirt] The directions on the shirt said “Hand Wash”. So that’s exactly what I did. Before I put the clothes in the washer, I washed my hands.
No wonder Uncle Phil was always tossing him out the front door!
3. Cody Lambert (Step by Step): Whoa, dude! This guy, like, tooootally got on my nerves. He was cute though!
4. Kimmy Gibbler (Full House): I hated Kimmy. Not funny!!! Deej totally should’ve ditched her, but that wouldn’t have been very Tanner-like.
5. Dauber Dybinski and Luther Van Dam (Coach): I loved both of these guys. For some reason, these are the only non-teenagers on the list? Somehow, despite their stupidity, both of these guys got to move on to another stage in life. And HOW are there no Luther clips on youtube?
UPDATE: Thanks to my lovely sister, I have this clip of Luther. Love him!